Making my own UI system from scratch sounded relatively easy until I started factoring in elements like multiple languages with special character / font support, text sizes, a variety of widgets, etc.. Still, I’m stubborn and sticking with it. I’ve just gotten a start on the Localization code.
Here’s a screenshot of a menu in Spanish. Note the translation is temporary via Google Translate. I don’t know Spanish, but at some point I’ll find someone who does for better translations.
I’ll be including support for English, Spanish, German, Italian, and French, as well as an “Other” category for modding in your own Localization.